Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

Where can I take household hazardous waste?

Tiburon Fire Protection is only authorized to recycle your household batteries.

We do NOT accept surplus or expired pharmaceuticals, needles/sharps, flares, fireworks, expired fire extinguishers, propane, paint, chemicals, etc.

Please contact the Marin Household Hazardous Waste Facility for all disposal needs:
565 Jacoby St.
San Rafael

Residential: (415)485-6806
Business: (415)485-5549

Commercial Customers: Tuesday & Wednesday, by appointment only
Residential Customers: Tuesday – Saturday, 8am – 3:30pm. Call ahead for details.


My fire extinguisher is old, how do I know that it is still operable?

TFPD does not service or recharge fire extinguishers. Old or obsolete extinguishers may be ineffective on fires and may cause injury.

If your fire extinguisher has a gauge, then it can be filled. If there is no gauge, then the fire extinguisher is for one-time use only, and is disposable. To service your fire extinguisher, please refer to the manufacturer’s label/sticker/hang tag on the extinguisher or contact a fire extinguisher maintenance company.

Replace or service an extinguisher right away if it’s been used or if you notice any of the following:

The date on the label or the attached tag has expired.

The pressure gauge is not in the green, is indicating the extinguisher is not full or indicates it needs a recharge.

The hose or nozzle is cracked, ripped, or blocked with debris.

The locking pin on the handle is missing or unsealed.

The handle is wobbly or broken.

The inspection label, sticker or hang tag, with an expiration date, a record of checkups and/or maintenance, is missing.

If replacing your extinguishers: a multi-purpose (ABC) fire extinguisher is best for the home. Look for the rating to be at least 2A-10B-C on the label. This extinguisher can be used on any type of fire commonly found in the home. We recommend installing an extinguisher in the kitchen and in the garage.

Where can I properly dispose of surplus or expired pharmaceuticals or needles/sharps?

The following link is a good resource to find locations:


Tiburon Police Department – Pharmaceutical Waste ONLY (no aerosols)
1155 Tiburon Boulevard, Tiburon

CVS in downtown Tiburon now takes medications but NOT sharps

Safeway Pharmacy – Sharps ONLY
110 Strawberry Village #100, Mill Valley

Pharmaca Integrative Pharmacy – Sharps ONLY
230 E. Blithdale, Mill Valley

Safeway Pharmacy – Sharps ONLY
1 Camino Alto, Mill Valley

Where can I dispose of my energy efficient lightbulbs?

You are able to bring lightbulbs to the MHHWF or to the bins located at Tiburon Town Hall, 1505 Tiburon Blvd, (415)435-7373

What should I do with things like cell phones and ink cartridges?

The above items may be disposed of in the bins located at Tiburon Town Hall, 1505 Tiburon Blvd, (415)435-7373

Who is my local waste collection hauler and what items will they and will they not take?

Mill Valley Refuse


Materials Collected

Paper: Newspaper, office paper, magazines, junk mail, catalogs, telephone books, paperboard, paper bags, stationary, envelopes, cardboard & paperboard, milk cartons, aseptic juice, soy and soup boxes.

No soiled paper, wax or plastic-coated paper, tissues, paper towels, photographs, or hardcover books.

Glass: Food and beverage glass containers only.

No ceramic, Pyrex, stemware, light bulbs, window glass or mirrors.

Metal: Steel, bimetal and aluminum food and beverage cans, pie plates & clean foil.

No scrap metal, propane tanks, hangers or containers with liquid.

Plastic: Food and beverage containers. Empty plastic milk, soda and water bottles and jugs, yogurt and margarine tubs, clean salad and deli containers, empty shampoo and soap bottles, and nursery pots.

No plastic bags, film plastic or plastic wrapping; Styrofoam, hoses, lawn chairs, furniture, toys, pipe, buckets, sheeting, or tarps.

Green Waste/Food Scrap: Grass cuttings, weeds tree trimmings less than 4″ diameter, berry vines, leaves, and garden waste. Meat, poultry, dairy, fruit, vegetables, egg shells, coffee grounds, tea bags, pizza boxes & food soiled paper products.

No waxed paper products, cooking oil, grease, fats, plastic bags, nursery pots, pet waste, wood products, glass, poison oak, soil, concrete or rock.


I have an American flag that I would like to properly retire, where should I bring it?

You can contact your local Boy Scout troop or Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post for assistance.

Boy Scouts – Marin Council

staff@boyscouts-marin.org or (415)454-1081

VFW Post 72 Tamalpais Post

647 Lindaro St
San Rafael, CA 94901-3960
United States

Phone: (415)388-7940 (please call in advance)

Can I bring my infant or child car seat to the fire station to have it installed or inspected for safety?

TFPD does not conduct child safety seat installations or inspections. Please contact the two following locations in order to schedule an appointment:

California Highway Patrol – Marin – (415)924-1100

AAA – (415)380-6031; (415)380-6031

Who should I contact for animal-related emergencies/complaints?

TFPD is called to assist the public with many different situations but we typically do not assist in animal care or treatment unless emergency intervention is warranted. If so, we will work in conjunction with animal welfare agencies, such as the Marin Humane Society and Wildcare, as well as with the Tiburon and Belvedere Police Departments. 

For nonemergency animal-related issues and concerns, please contact the Marin Humane Society. Marin Humane Animal Services Officers respond to thousands of emergency calls and calls for assistance with animals every year. For assistance 24 hours a day, please call (415)883-4621 and press “1” to reach help or try (415)309-6339.

Marin Humane Animal Services will follow up on residents’ complaints about animals. Click here for more information on how to file a complaint.

You may also try:

WildCare – (415)456-7283 http://www.wildcarebayarea.org/

There are hazards such as fallen trees, clogged storm drains, water leaks, sinkholes that I’ve noticed around the Town of Tiburon, who do I notify?

If someone is in danger, please cal 911. Otherwise, hazards such as the ones above or other similar hazards can be directed to the Tiburon Department of Public Works, Maintenance Division at (415)435-7399 during normal business hours. If you have a priority or urgent issue and are unable to reach someone at the Department of Public Works, or are calling after hours, call the Tiburon Police Department at (415) 789-2801 and Public Works staff will be dispatched. 

I have a sewer-related issue, who do I call?

Marin County Sanitary District #5 – Tiburon East of Gilmartin Drive 
Telephone number: (415)435-1501
Emergency number: (415)945-4080
View map of service area

Marin County Sanitary District #2 – Sections of Paradise Drive North of Trestle Glen Boulevard
Telephone number: (415)927-5057
Emergency number: (415)927-5150
View map of service area

Richardson Bay Sanitary District – Tiburon West of Gilmartin Drive
Telephone number: (415)388-1345
Emergency number: (415)388-1345 or (415)388-2740
View map of service area

I have a water-related issue, who do I call?

If you are experiencing a water leak, call the Marin Municipal Water District at (415)945-1500, 24 hours a day. If the leak appears to be on town property, or is the result of a malfunctioning irrigation system, contact Tiburon Public Works. If the leak is causing property damage, call 911.

There seems to be a power outage in my area. Should I call the Tiburon Fire District to find out when power will be restored?

Please do not call TFPD for power outages. Using your smartphone, please visit the following web page for information,


You may also call: 1-800-743-5000

What do I do if I smell natural gas or see downed power lines?

If you smell natural gas, see downed power lines, or suspect another emergency situation, leave the area immediately and call 911. Then, call PG&E at 1-800-743-5000.

24-hour Customer Service Line: 1-800-PGE-5000 (1-800-743-5000)

24-hour Power Outage Information Line: 1-800-PGE-5002 (1-800-743-5002)

What to do if you see a downed power line:

Never, ever touch a downed power line or go near one. Power lines are not insulated like power cords. Always assume the power line is energized.

  • Don’t touch a downed power line or other equipment.
  • Don’t touch anything or anyone in contact with a downed power line.
  • Keep children and pets away from a downed power line.
  • Don’t drive over a downed power line.

Leave the area immediately and then call 911 and PG&E at 1-800-743-5000.

Where can I find sandbags?



Belvedere DPW – boxes containing pre-filled sandbags are available at the following locations (no delivery or pick up service available at this time):

  • Community Rd. @ City Hall
  • Lagoon Rd. @ Maybridge Rd.
  • West Shore Rd. across from 73 Westshore Rd.


Tiburon DPW – sandbag stations have been set up at the following locations (no delivery or pick up service available at this time):

  • Beach @ Marsh Rd. behind CVS by tennis courts
  • Blackie’s Pasture gravel parking lot


Shamrock Materials (415)455-1575, 548 DuBois St, San Rafael

Goodman’s, (415)388-6233, 775 Redwood Hwy., MV

Water Components, (415)451-1780, 44 Simms, SR (near Marin Sanitary)

Can I come to the fire station to have my blood pressure checked?

Personnel are able to check your blood pressure free of charge if they are not on an emergency call.
Feel free to stop by your neighborhood fire station and let us check it for you.

I would like to take a First Aid/CPR class, can I do that locally?

TFPD offers First Aid and CPR classes for groups of no less than 5 and no more than 10 people. The current cost is $50/participant. Classes are mainly held at our headquarters station and are typically 2-4 hours long depending on total number of participants. These classes are by appointment only and generally start at either 9:00am or 1:00pm. Please email your number of participants, 2-3 prospective dates and the time you prefer to nchaput@tiburonfire.org. Due to staffing, please keep in mind that these classes are harder to get scheduled during wildland fire season (April-October). If you need immediate help with First Aid and CPR, try the following links:





Who should I contact about my ambulance bill?

Please contact our billing contractor, Wittman Enterprises at 800-906-6552, www.chartswap.com  or records@webillems.com.

Where should smoke detectors be placed in my home?

Residential smoke detectors should be placed in each bedroom/sleeping area on every level of the home and in the hallways just outside these bedrooms/sleeping areas. On floors without bedrooms, detectors should be installed in or near living areas such as dens, living rooms, or family rooms.

Can I obtain or purchase patches from your fire district?

We apologize, TFPD is no longer giving out patches to the public; they are for official District use only.

How do I schedule a visit or request an engine for my child’s birthday party?

Unfortunately, we are unable to schedule visits, accommodate birthday parties or utilize our emergency response apparatus to visit your child’s birthday party location. However, we encourage you to visit anytime you are in the area of our headquarters station between the hours of 9am-5pm to learn about our facilities, equipment and meet our fire personnel. Please remember, the firefighters at the station are on duty and may need to respond to an emergency quickly.

Why does a fire engine respond with the ambulance?
TFPD prides itself on the delivery of state-of-the-art emergency medical services to our community. The ambulance and fire engine are staffed by cross trained firefighter/paramedics. A fire engine is dispatched with the ambulance on many calls for various reasons. In some cases, the fire engine may be closer and can initiate medical care before the arrival of the ambulance. The fire engine and ambulance crews work together to make a highly efficient team to provide you with an unsurpassed level of care and best possible outcome.

Why do we see fire district crews at the store?
TFPD firefighters are on-duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week, always ready to respond to a call, even when they are at the grocery store. Each crew of firefighters stays together throughout their entire 48-hour shift to ensure they can respond to an emergency, with the proper equipment, from any location within minutes. There are also benefits to our crews eating and preparing meals together. This gives the firefighters an opportunity to discuss the calls they have run, share emotions and build bonds that directly correlate to effective teamwork in an emergency situation. Being out in the community also gives us a chance to meet with residents and get to know the people in our neighborhoods, which makes us better first responders.