The Tiburon Fire Protection District uses the Knox Entry System to allow secure access to businesses and residences by the Fire Department during an emergency.
Below are the rules and regulations for knox box installations and locations, please read and review carefully.
- A key box or electric key switch is required where: access to buildings is difficult, in buildings with fire alarm or sprinkler systems, all facilities that are required to submit a hazardous materials business plan, and where electronic or manual gates could hamper emergency access. After investigation of the available products, it has been determined that the product line offered by the Knox Company, of Irvine,
best satisfies the security needs of the Fire District and the community.
- “Knox” boxes and key switches must be ordered using the Tiburon Fire Protection District preprinted order forms available at the headquarters station or by fax.
- The “Knox” box should be mounted to the right of the main entrance door with the key-way of the box at a height of 6′ 6″ (six foot and six inches) above the finished landing, walkway or grade. On electric gates the key switch shall be mounted on the electronic key pad stanchion or monument. All other locations must be pre- approved by the Tiburon Fire Protection District.
- In all occupancies other than residential, keys shall be provided for: access to all areas of the facility, access and control of fire sprinkler and or fire alarm systems, and elevator control keys. In multi-residential occupancies keys shall be provided for: access to all common areas of the facility, access and control of fire sprinkler and or fire alarm systems, and elevator control keys. All keys shall be clearly labeled to indicate their function.
- The “Knox” box will be shipped with the door locked open. When the box has been properly mounted and all necessary keys assembled you must contact the Fire District to arrange to have the box secured.
- When electric key switches have been installed you must contact the Fire District to arrange a test of the gate opening device.
- The Fire District shall be notified and the keys updated when any locks have been altered or tenants have changed.
- The box will only be used by the Tiburon Fire Protection District for emergency purposes and for annual verification of the workability of the keys. The box will not be used for non-emergency purposes such as a building owner or tenant has locked themselves out.